Christian Cyclopedia

About the Cyclopedia





Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, The Board of Foreign Missions of the.

Committee of the Gen. Assem. of the Presb. Ch. that traced its hist. to a “Bd. of Correspondents” est. 1741 in New York by the Soc. in Scot. for Propagating Christian Knowledge (see Bible Societies, 3) to work among Am. Indians. The work of the Bd. of Correspondents was largely abandoned ca. 1781 after the death of J. Brainerd.* The New York Miss. Soc. (indep.) was est. 1796 to resume the work. It was succeeded 1797–ca. 1800 by the Northern Miss. Soc. The Gen. Assem. of the Presb. Ch. carried on the work ca. 1800–18. The United For. Miss. Soc., active 1818–1826, transferred its work to the ABCFM The Western For. Miss. Soc., formed 1831, was replaced 1837 by a Bd. of For. Missions, which was in turn discontinued 1958, when the Commission on Ecumenical Mission and Relations, Inc., of the United* Presb. Ch. in the USA was est.


Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission

Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod


Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.

Content Reproduced with Permission

Stay Connected! Join the LCMS Network:

Contact Us Online
800-248-1930
(Staff Switchboard)
888-843-5267
(Church Info Center)
1333 S Kirkwood Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions

 

Featured Publication

The Lutheran Witness

LCMS Communications

Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online