(Evangelischlutherische Mission zu Leipzig). Began 1819 as Dresden Ev. Luth. Miss. (Evangelisch-lutherische Mission zu Dresden), which was largely supported by pietists and sent money and missionaries to the Basel* Miss. Soc. Largely as a result of reaction against the Prussian* Union the Dresden soc. est. its own miss. school 1832, which developed into a sem. 1836. The soc. also became an indep. Luth. miss. soc. 1836. In 1848 its miss. bd. moved to Leipzig. Under K. F. L. Graul* it became the most important Luth. miss. in Eur.
The Leipzig Miss. was pledged to the Luth. confessions. Its purpose was not only to win converts but also to gather the converts into congs. loyal to the Luth. confessions and to develop indigenous, self-supporting chs. Missionaries were trained in the religious, scientific, literary, pol., and soc. aspects of their field.
Fields included India 1847, Kenya 1886, Tanganyika 1893, New Guinea 1955. It also est. a miss. at Station Bethany, St. Louis, Michigan (see also Baierlein, Eduard Raimund), which was given to the Mo. Syn. 1849.
See also Hardeland, Julius.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission