Organized 1886 as Christian Union (see also Church of God, 2) by R. G. Spurling* Sr. and Jr. et al. at Barney Creek Meeting House, Monroe Co., Tennessee; reorganized 1902; in 1903 A. J. Tomlinson* of Culbertson North Carolina was ordained pastor of holiness people who met at Camp Creek, Cherokee Co., North Carolina, by R. G. Spurling Jr. and W. F. Bryant. Tomlinson moved to Cleveland, Tennessee, 1904 became leader in Christian Union movement. Impeached, he organized the Tomlinson Church of God (name changed 1953 to The Church of God of Prophecy). His son, Milton A. Tomlinson, succeeded him as overseer. Doctrines emphasize regeneration, sanctification, baptism with Holy Ghost, divine healing, premillennial return of Christ. Headquarters Cleveland, Tennessee.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission