The word chapel originally (7th c.) probably denoted the temporary sanctuary which housed the cape (LL cappa) of Martin of Tours when it was carried along on military campaigns; later, any sanctuary containing relics; then building which differed in some ways from chs. (e.g., places of worship for schools, colleges, hospitals), special parts of chs. having their own altar (Chapel Royal and Chapel of Ease in Eng.), and private chs.; in Am. at times synonymous with ch.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission