A Young Women's Christian Association of Great Britain and Ireland was initiated 1855. In New York a Union Prayer Circle was formed by Mrs. Marshall O. Roberts 1858. The name was changed in the same year to Ladies' Christian Association. Its purpose was to labor for the temporal, moral, and religious welfare of young self-supporting women. In 1866 the name was changed to Ladies' Christian Union, and the same year the Young Women's Christian Association of Boston was organized. In the course of years similar organizations were founded, which then developed into the present Young Women's Christian Association. Its purpose is to look after the mental, physical, social, and spiritual interests of young women. In character, work, and methods the organization closely resembles the Young* Men's Christian Association.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission