Organized June 8, 1847, by 8 pastors (bishops) formerly belonging to the Eng. Syn. of Ohio (East Ohio). Territory: NW Ohio. Among prominent men of the syn. were E. Keller* and S. Sprecher.* Joined General* Syn. 1848; approved Definite* Synodical Platform. In 1918 it entered the United Luth. Ch. and November 3, 1920, merged with E Ohio, the Miami* Syn., and the Dist. Syn. of Ohio into the Ohio Syn. of the ULC. It then numbered 55 pastors. 74 congs., and 12,590 communicants. See United Lutheran Church in America, The, Synods of, 19.
C. S. Ernsberger, A History of the Wittenberg Synod of the General Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Columbus, Ohio, 1917).
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online