Interdenom, soc. organized 1898 by R. V. Bingham* as Africa Industrial Mission, as indep. faith mission, at Toronto, Ont., Can., to support work begun 1893 as Soudan Interior Mission on individual initiative; name changed 1905 to Africa Evangelistic Mission; merged with Sudan* United Miss. 1906; union dissolved and present name adopted 1907. The 1st station was est. 1902 at Patigi (or Patiji), several hundred miles up the Niger R., another at Bida 1903, another at Wushishi 1904. Fields have included Aden, Dahomey, Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, Niger, Nigeria, Somali Rep., Sudan, Upper Volta. Mem. IFMA See also Africa, C 12, 14, E 1.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online