Christian Cyclopedia

About the Cyclopedia





Society Islands

(Iles de la Société). S Pacific islands named on basis of Eng. rediscovery in the late 1760s, in honor of the Brit. Royal Soc. Previous names of Tahiti: King George's Is. (1767) and La Nouvelle Cythère (1768); Tahiti and adjacent islands were first called Georgian Island (1769). Area: ca. 650 sq. mi.; Part of Fr. Polynesia,* which became an overseas territory of Fr. 1946; E of Cook* Islands, SW of Marquesas Islands; include 14 islands, 8 inhabited (including Tahiti and Mooréa [or Eimeo]). Discovered 1607 by P. F. de Quirós.*

LMS began work 1797. King Pomare II was bap. 1812. The whole Bible in Tahitian was pub. 1838. Fr. protectorate est. 1843. The Paris* Ev. Miss. Soc. took the place of the LMS. See also Williams, John.


Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission

Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod


Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.

Content Reproduced with Permission

Stay Connected! Join the LCMS Network:

Contact Us Online
800-248-1930
(Staff Switchboard)
888-843-5267
(Church Info Center)
1333 S Kirkwood Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions

 

Featured Publication

The Lutheran Witness

LCMS Communications

Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online