(March 12, 1815November 23, 1891). B. Leipzig, Ger.; educ. Leipzig; taught in various places; to Am. 1838 with the Saxon Immigration (see Lutheran ChurchMissouri Synod, The, II); taught school in Perry Co., Missouri, and in Saint Louis; ordained pastor Monroe Co., Illinois, 1841; also pastor Centreville, St. Clair Co., Illinois, 1849; accepted a call to Altenburg, Perry Co., Missouri, 1849 and was installed there early in 1850; pres. Western Dist. of the Mo. Syn. 1854. Divested 1857 first of membership in the Mo. Syn., and then of the pastorate of his cong., for his chiliasm, he joined the Ev. Luth. Syn. of Iowa* and Other States; renounced chiliasm (cf. Der Lutheraner, August 1, 1875); pastor Hillsdale and Coldwater, Michigan (installed September 12, 1875); rejoined the Mo. Syn. (Northern Dist.) 1876; pastor Neu Gehlenbeck, Madison Co., Illinois, 1877. Works include Geschichte der ersten deutschen lutherischen Ansiedlung in Altenburg, Perry Co., Missouri.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission