Created 1959 by consolidation of Pittsburgh-Xenia Theol. Sem. (United Presb. Ch. of N. Am.) and Western Theol. Sem. (Presb. Ch., USA), following 1958 merger of the 2 bodies (see Presbyterian Churches, 4 a).
Pittsburgh-Xenia Theol. Sem. was formed 1930 by union of Pittsburgh and Xenia Sems. The Xenia branch was founded 1794 at Service, Pennsylvania; moved 1821 to Canonsburg, Pennsylvania; consolidated with another sem. 1830; moved 1855 to Xenia, Ohio; name changed 1858; absorbed Monmouth, formerly Oxford, Sem. 1874; charter received 1877; moved 1920 to St. Louis, Missouri The Pittsburgh branch was est. 1825 as Allegheny Theol. Sem., in Allegheny (now part of Pittsburgh); charter granted 1868. Both branches were later augmented by resources of Newburgh Sem., founded NYC 1805.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission