Christian Cyclopedia

About the Cyclopedia





Mosque

(from Arab, masjid, “temple”). “Place of prostration” or pub. prayer in Islam*; in the middle of the open, rectangular court, which is surrounded by covered porticoes, is a fountain for ablutions; in a wall of the hall on the side facing Mecca is a niche called mihrab, which indicates the direction of Mecca and usually contains a copy of the Koran*; to its right is the minbar (mimbar), or pulpit; call to prayer is sounded from minarets attached to outside wall of bldg.


Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission

Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod


Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.

Content Reproduced with Permission

Stay Connected! Join the LCMS Network:

Contact Us Online
800-248-1930
(Staff Switchboard)
888-843-5267
(Church Info Center)
1333 S Kirkwood Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions

 

Featured Publication

The Lutheran Witness

LCMS Communications

Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online