1. Luther Coll., Decorah, Iowa; est. by The Norw. Ev. Luth. Ch. in Am. (see Evangelical Lutheran Church, The, 8); founding resolution adopted 1857; 1st prof. P. L. Larsen*; the school was at Halfway Creek, La Crosse Co., Wisconsin, 186162, moved to Decorah 1862; coed. 1936; The ALC. See also Ministry, Education of, VIII B; Schmid(t), Friedrich August.
2. Luther Jr. Coll., Wahoo, Nebraska; formerly Luther Academy; est. 1883 by Augustana Syn.; merged with Midland Coll., Fremont, 1962; LCA. See also Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church, 14; Ministry, Education of, VIII C 1.
4. Luther Coll., New Orleans, Louisiana The Synodical* Conf. resolved 1902 to est. 1 or 2 schools to train Negro pastors and teachers. F. J. Lankenau* opened the New Orleans school 1903 and was pres. 190308. The school also served as a sem. but was reduced 1910 to a preparatory school for Immanuel* Luth. Coll., Greensboro, North Carolina; closed 1925; in 1928 the Syn. Conf. resolved to reopen it; new beginning made 1929; closed 1932.
5. Luther Coll., Regina, Sask., Can.; est. 1913 as Luther Academy at Melville, Sask.; classes began 1914; moved to Regina; affiliated with U. Sask.; coed.; jr. coll.; sponsored by ELCC; action taken 1966 to fed. the school with the U. of Sask. See also Ministry, Education of, VIII C 1.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission