(Diedrich; March 18, 1817August 30, 1901). Luth. businessman; philanthropist; b. Bremen, Ger.; to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1836; helped expand Ger. Hosp. (later called Lankenau Hosp.), Philadelphia. Est. Mary J. Drexel Home (named in honor of his wife, nee Drexel, who died 1873) in Philadelphia and Philadelphia Deaconess Mother-house 1888; also School for Girls (renamed Lankenau School for Girls 1910).
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online