C. G. L. Grossmann* issued a call 1832 for the est. of an institution to aid needy Prots. in and outside Ger., esp. in RC countries. An assoc. was formed by committees in Leipzig and Dresden; received royal confirmation 1834. K. Zimmermann* of Darmstadt created a similar movement 1841. The 2 movements joined 1842 to form the Evangelischer Verein der Gustav-Adolf-Stiftung. Enlarged by receiving Prussian miss. socs. 1844. Dist. socs. were organized in Bav., Austria, Hung., Switz., Fr., Russ., Swed., Romania, It., Holland, Belg. Name changed 1946 to Gustav-Adolf-Werk der Evangelischen Kirche in Deutschland. Since 1948 the work in the Bundesrepublik Deutschland and the Deutsche Demokratische Republik is carried on separately. Publications include Die Evangelische Diaspora; Gustav-Adolf-Kalender; Gustav-Adolf-Kinderkalender; Gustav-Adolf-Blatt.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission