This group of Luths., mostly from the Wis Syn., the ELS, the Orthodox Luth. Conf., and the LCMS, adopted a const. at Watertown, South Dakota, August 912, 1960 (additions August 611, 1964); formally organized and elected the 1st permanent officers (1st pres.: Paul Albrecht) January 1961, at Sleepy Eye, Minnesota. The const. lists the following purposes: A. To aid its mems. so that all things may be done decently and in order; B. To afford its membership additional opportunities and facilities for the exercise of Christian stewardship in the service of the Lord Jesus Christ, in accordance with the commands and promises of His Word; C. To facilitate the exercise of true Christian fellowship and to help maintain the same through mutual strengthening and fraternal vigilance, in keeping with the will of God; D. To protect this fellowship against encroachment of error and unionism through united testimony and doctrinal discipline.
This ch. accepts the canonical Scriptures as verbally inspired; 3 ecumenical creeds; Book of Concord of 1580; Brief* Statement of 1932. It defines its position in the statements Concerning Church Fellowship; Theses on the Relation of Synod and Local Congregation to the Holy Christian Church; and Theses on the Ministry of the Keys and the Public Ministry. It owns and controls Immanuel Luth. Coll., Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and pub. the Journal of Theology. It has a miss. in Tokyo, Japan. Its greatest concentration of chs. is in Wisconsin and South Dakota.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online