From custom of reading a chapter at meetings of monks, the place of meeting and assembly received name chapter. Later monks of a region (provincial) and of whole order (general) were called chapters. Then name extended to include mems. of corporate body responsible for ecclesiastical institution, more specifically a cathedral (cathedral chapter) or large ch. (collegiate chapter). ln late Middle Ages, cathedral chapters received increasing role in function of bp., right of electing him, and ultimately became indep. of episcopal control. Council of Trent partially restored authority of bp. over chapter. In Angl. Ch. chapters are practically indep. of bps.
Ex. head of chapter usually called dean or provost.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission