Christian Cyclopedia

About the Cyclopedia


The Aaronic benediction, Nm 6:24–26, was used in Temple and synagogue at the end of the liturgical part of the service. It was used in the early church (Apostolic Constitutions, II, 57) and was retained by Luther as the only one commanded by God. it conveys to the assembled cong., which has accepted the salvation of God in the means of grace, the blessing of the Triune God. The Apostolic benediction, 2 Co 13:14, is customarily used at the end of the minor services. The blessing in Gn 31:49 is called Mizpah benediction.

Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission

Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.

Content Reproduced with Permission

Stay Connected! Join the LCMS Network:

Contact Us Online
(Staff Switchboard)
(Church Info Center)
1333 S Kirkwood Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions


Featured Publication

The Lutheran Witness

LCMS Communications

Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online