(Arches Court). Angl. court of appeal for the Archdiocese or Province of Canterbury. Named after St. Mary of the Arches (Lat. de Arcubus, rare ablative plural of arcus; cf. Vulgate 2 Esd 4:13), London, where it formerly met; the ch. took its name from arches of the original 11th-c. ch. on the site.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission