Christian Cyclopedia

About the Cyclopedia


Branch of the Cathari* found mainly in S. Fr.; named after Albi, city in SW Fr. Believing in a god of light and a prince of this world, they developed a New Manichaeism*; the fallen angels were the “lost sheep of the house of Israel”; Jesus' death was only apparent (see Docetism). They were repeatedly subjected to armed attack 1181–1229 but did not finally disappear till the middle of the 14th c. See also Avignon.

C. G. Coulton, Inquisition and Liberty (London, 1938); C. G. A. Schmidt, Histoire et doctrine de la secte des Cathares ou Albigeois, 2 vols. (Paris, 1848–49); H. J. Warner, The Albigensian Heresy, 2 vols. (London, 1922–28).

Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission

Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.

Content Reproduced with Permission

Stay Connected! Join the LCMS Network:

Contact Us Online
(Staff Switchboard)
(Church Info Center)
1333 S Kirkwood Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions


Featured Publication

The Lutheran Witness

LCMS Communications

Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online