(ancient Lusitania). W part of Iberian peninsula, W Eur.; Area: ca. 35,300 sc. mi. Indep. kingdom in 12th c.; Sp. dependency 15801640; dependent ally of Gt. Brit. in late 17th c.; occupied by Fr. 180714; rep. 1910; new const. adopted 1933, amended 1959; govt. overthrown by military coup 1974. More than 70% nominally RC; others have included Assemblies of God, Brethren, Baps., Presbs., Meths., Pent., Seventh-day Adventists. Effects of the Reformation were felt early in Port. Organized Luth. work began soon after the middle of the 20th c. LCMS granted its Brazil Dist. permission to regard miss. work in Port. as its project 1962.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission