The Presb. Ch. in the US began to divide internally ca. 1825 into a New School (advocated liberal interpretation of the confessions and cooperation with Congregationalists; opposed slavery) and a conservative Old School; schism occurred 1837; the New School adopted the Auburn* Declaration 1838; the Old School Gen. Assem. endorsed it 1868; the 2 groups reunited 1869.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission