(Bav. For. Miss. Soc.). Est. as Gesellschaft für innere Mission im Sinne der lutherischen Kirche in Bayern 1849 (const. 1850) by J. K. W. Löhe.* Concerns included work among Ger. immigrants in Am.; in connection with this, a miss. to Am. Indians was carried on until the mid-1860s. In 1888 the Ger. name of the soc. became Gesellschaft für innere und äussere Mission im Sinne der lutherischen Kirche. Work among natives in Australia was begun in the 1870s, in New Guinea 1886 (see also Flierl, Johan[nes]; Keysser, Christian); for further developments in the latter field see Australia, C 1; New Guinea. Other fields included Brazil 1897.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online