Columbia, South Carolina Traces its hist. to a theol. school est. 1830 near Pomaria, South Carolina, by the Ev. Luth. Syn. of South Carolina (see United Lutheran Church in America, The, Synods of, 16, 27); Lexington, South Carolina, chosen as its permanent location 1832; a classical dept. added; moved to Newberry, South Carolina; classical dept. named Newberry Coll. 1856. Theol. instruction interrupted by the Civil War; work revived by the Gen. Syn. South first at Walhalla, South Carolina, 1868, than at Columbia, finally at Salem, Virginia; closed 1884; theol. work resumed 1886 by the Ev. Luth. Syn. of South Carolina at Newberry Coll.; given a new impetus by the United Syn. in the South ca. 1898; moved to Mt. Pleasant, ca. 21 mi. SW of Columbia, South Carolina; moved to Columbia, South Carolina, 1911. See also Hazelius, Ernest Lewis; Repass, Stephan Abion.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online