Institute dedicated to the study of Heb. language and Jewish literature, esp. for miss. purposes. The first such inst., founded 1728 by J. H. Callenberg* in Halle, continued till 1792. H. L. Strack* est. one 1883 in Berlin; closed 1933. Franz Delitzsch (see Delitzsch, 1) est. one 1886 in Leipzig; later called Delitzschianum: to Vienna 1935: closed 1938; reopened 1948 in Münster by Karl Heinrich Rengstorf (b. 1903 at Jembke, near Gifhorn, Ger.). Another was est. 1956 in Tübingen by Otto Michel (b. 1903 at Elberfeld [now in Wuppertal], Ger.).
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission