(S Illinois Syn.) (185697; 190120). Organized November 7, 1856, near Jonesboro, Illinois, by 8 pastors and 4 laymen formerly mems. of the Syn. of the Southwest.* Joined Gen. Syn. 1857 (see General Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the United States of America, The). Area included S Illinois, SE Missouri, and W Tennessee Its pastors in Tennessee formed the Ev. Luth. Syn. of Middle Tennessee* 1878. The S Illinois Syn. was combined with the Ev. Luth. Syn. of Cen. Illinois* 18971901 as the Ev. Luth. Syn. of Cen. and S Illinois.* The latter syn. divided again 1901 into the Cen. Illinois Syn. and the S Illinois Syn. The S Illinois Syn. helped form the ULC 1918 and June 1920 merged with the Cen. Illinois Syn., the Ev. Luth. Syn. of N Illinois,* and part of the Chicago* Syn. of the Ev. Luth. Ch. into the Illinois Syn. of the ULC (see United Lutheran Church in America, The, Synods of, 7). Membership at time of merger: 10 pastors, 17 congs., 3,518 communicants. HT
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission
|Contact Us Online|
(Church Info Center)
|1333 S Kirkwood Rd |
Saint Louis, MO 63122-7226 | Directions
The Lutheran Witness
Interpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective.
Visit TLW Online