Lancaster, Pennsylvania Formed 1853 by merger of Franklin Coll., Lancaster, and Marshall Coll., Mercersburg, Pennsylvania Franklin Coll., named for Benjamin Franklin, was founded 1787 by Luths., Ref., and other Christian groups, with G. H. E. Mühlenberg (see Mühlenberg, Henry Melchior, and Family, 7) as 1st pres. The Luth. interest was bought by the Ref. ca. 1850. Marshall Coll., named for US chief justice John Marshall, was founded 1836 at Mercersburg by the Ref. Ch. in the US See also Mercersburg Theology; Nevin, John Williamson; Schaff, Philip; United Church of Christ, II A 2.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission