(Ev. Luth. Ch. in [or of] Am.; also called Elling Syn.; Ellingian Syn.; Ellingianerne). Organized 1846 at Jefferson Prairie, Wisconsin, by E. Eielsen* and others. The constitution, written by Eielsen and adopted April 1314, made proof of conversion a condition of membership. In 187576 changes in emphasis led to revision of the constitution and change of name to Hauge's Norw. Ev. Luth. Syn. in Am. In 1876 a separation occurred, Eielsen and his followers reorganizing under the old constitution and name. The syn. faded as a syn. in the 1960s; a few congs. continued at least into the 1980s. See also Evangelical Lutheran Church, The, 56, 12; Hauge Synod.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission