Organized 1957 as the Foundation for Reformation Research under leadership of Herbert W. Knopp and Alfred O. Fuerbringer by a group of faculty and bd. mems. of Conc. Sem., St. Louis, Missouri, who secured a charter from the State of Missouri to found a nonprofit corporation 1. to collect and preserve historical source material pertaining to the Protestant Reformation and related areas of the history of the Christian Church; 2. to make such material available to interested students and scholars through the establishment of a library and research center; 3. to stimulate historical research concerning the Protestant Reformation and to publish the results of such historical research; 4. to accept gifts, bequests, and devises of real and personal property, which property or the income therefrom shall be used solely to carry out the purposes set forth above and to hold, invest, and administer funds held by the Center for such purposes.
The library bldg. is at 6477 San Bonita, Clayton, Missouri 63105. Micro-duplicated holdings cover a broad representation of 15th and 16th c. titles and many MSS Most materials are Lat. and Ger., with a growing percentage of Fr., Eng., It., and Scand. languages. Special collections include works of 16th c. figures whose complete works have not appeared in modern critical eds. (e.g., J. Brenz,* J. H. Bullinger,* M. Bucer,* M. Flacius* Illyricus) and hist. collections (e.g., Political Archives of Philip* of Hesse and parts of the Sammlung of J. J. Simler*).
The Foundation conducts an institute each summer to give special instructions in historiographical skills, e.g., paleography, bibliography, and philology as related to the Reformation. AOF
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission