Church containing official seat (Gk. kathedra) or throne of bp.; hence mother ch. (ecclesia matrix) of diocese. Formerly also called dome (Lat. domus episcopi, house of bp.); hence Ger. Dom and It. duomo. Originally a cathedral was served by a bp.; gradually services were delegated to a separate body of clergy (see Chapter); other chs. in diocese called parish churches. In the Luth. Ch. the word cathedral is used in a wider sense and includes various significant churches. See also Church Architecture; Western Christianity 5001500, 8.
Edited by: Erwin L. Lueker, Luther Poellot, Paul Jackson
©Concordia Publishing House, 2000, All rights Reserved. Reproduced with Permission
Internet Version Produced by
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Original Editions ©Copyright 1954, 1975, 2000
Concordia Publishing House
All rights reserved.
Content Reproduced with Permission